Foreign Direct Investment
The concept describes the importance of foreign direct investment in today's increasingly globalised world. Using research and case study examples, it explains the strengths and drawbacks of FDI and outlines some critical factors for success.
Foreign Direct Investment Definition
Foreign direct investment (FDI) refers to a category of cross-border investment associated with a resident in one economy having control or a significant degree of influence on the management of an enterprise that is resident in another economy (IMF, 2009). The concept of FDI emphasises two differences: FDI versus Foreign Portfolio Investment (FPI): the former actively manages the investment, whereas the second takes a passive approach (Mankiw, 2011). FDI is undertaken with the intention of exercising control over an enterprise (UNCTAD).
Foreign Direct Investment Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Foreign Direct Investment.
Foreign Direct Investment Strengths *
Foreign Direct Investment Weaknesses *
Examples of Foreign Direct Investment *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Foreign Direct Investment Implementation *
Success Factors of Foreign Direct Investment *
Measures of Foreign Direct Investment *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Foreign Direct Investment Videos *
Foreign Direct Investment Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Foreign Direct Investment Web Resources *
Foreign Direct Investment Print Resources *
Foreign Direct Investment References (4 of up to 20) *
- Baumol, W. J. and Blinder, A. S. (2010) Macroeconomics: Principles and Policies, Cengage Learning.
- Bloomberg (2011) Foreign Direct Investment in China in 2010 Rises to Record $105.7 Billion. Jan 18. Available at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-18/foreign-direct-investment-in-china-in-2010-rises-to-record-105-7-billion.html
- Brown, K. (2011) Foreign direct investment into Asia declines. Financial Times, Jan 16. Available at: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/ca309fd2-21a3-11e0-9e3b-00144feab49a.html#axzz1cx6IvcPE
- Hausmann, R. and Fernández-Arias, E. (2000) Foreign Direct Investment: Good Cholesterol? Inter-American Development Bank Working Paper No. 417 (Washington).
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Foreign Direct Investment and hundreds of other essential business management techniques