Field theory is an important idea in individual and organisational change management. Its relevance as a theory of leadership and change is highlighted, numerous strengths and weaknesses are described, and it is shown how it can be used to address problems faced by organisations today.
Field Theory Definition
"An approach to understanding group behaviour by trying to map out the totality and complexity of the field in which the behaviour takes place. It is one of the four elements of Lewin's Planned approach to change" (Burnes, 2009).
Field Theory Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Field Theory.
Field Theory Strengths *
Field Theory Weaknesses *
Examples of Field Theory *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Field Theory Implementation *
Success Factors of Field Theory *
Measures of Field Theory *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Field Theory Videos *
Field Theory Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Field Theory Web Resources *
Field Theory Print Resources *
Field Theory References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bamforth, K. & Trist, E. (1951). Some Social and Psychological Consequences of the Longwall Method of Coal Getting. Human Relations, Vol. 4, pp.3-38.
- Barton, D., Newell, R., & Wilson, G. (2002). Preparing for a financial crisis. The McKinsey Quarterly, pp. 79 – 87.
- Burnes, B. (2009) Managing Change, Pearson, Essex, UK.
- Cartwright, N. (1987) “Philosophical Problems of Quantum Theory: The Response of American Physicists.” Pp. 417-435 in The Probabilistic Revolution, Volume II: Ideas in the Sciences, edited by Lorenz Krüger, Gerd Gigerenzer, and Mary S. Morgan. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Field Theory and hundreds of other essential business management techniques