The concept reviews differentiation as a marketing strategy used by companies to distinguish its product from similar offerings on the market. It describes success factors, limitation and implementation steps, as well as the most important evidence on its commercial use.
Differentiation entails the development of unique benefits or attributes in a product or service that positions it to appear valuable, especially to a part (segment) of the total market (Lynch, 2006: 807).
Differentiation Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Differentiation.
Differentiation Strengths *
Differentiation Weaknesses *
Examples of Differentiation *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Differentiation Implementation *
Success Factors of Differentiation *
Measures of Differentiation *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Differentiation Videos *
Differentiation Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Differentiation Web Resources *
Differentiation Print Resources *
Differentiation References (4 of up to 20) *
- Ailawadi, K.L., Lehmann, D.R. and Neslin, S.A. (2003) Revenue Premium as an Outcome Measure of Brand Equity. Journal of Marketing, Vol. 67, pp. 1-17, October.
- Drummond, G., Ensor, J. and Ashford, R. (2008) Strategic Marketing: Planning and Control. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK.
- Grant, R.M. (2005) Contemporary Strategy Analysis. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK.
- Ibis Associates (2010) Competitive Analysis. [Online] Available at: http://www.ibisassoc.co.uk/competitive-analysis.htm.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Differentiation and hundreds of other essential business management techniques