Demergers can impact positively on the quality of management teams, both for the pre-existing company as well as the new one. Consideration of strengths and weaknesses, relevant case studies and practical implication steps help to inform and support decision making.
A demerger is the process of removing a business from the encumbrance of a conglomerate. As such, it is the opposite of a merger or an acquisition. It occurs when a firm takes part of its business and spins it off into a separate business entity (Clark-Meads 1996a).
Demerger Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Demerger.
Demerger Strengths *
Demerger Weaknesses *
Examples of Demerger *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Demerger Implementation *
Success Factors of Demerger *
Measures of Demerger *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Demerger Videos *
Demerger Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Demerger Web Resources *
Demerger Print Resources *
Demerger References (4 of up to 20) *
- Andrews, D. (2007) Asia and Europe set for demerger boom, International Financial Law Review, Vol. 26 (9), pp. 10-10.
- BBC News (2010) Cable & Wireless Demerger Takes the FTSE 100 to 101, BBC News, 26 March 2010. [online] Available at: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8589055.stm) [Accessed October 2015].
- Clark-Meads, J. (1996a) Thorn-EMI Demerger Pends; Music Arm Will Not Be Sold, Billboard, Vol. 108 (7), pp. 1-6.
- Clark-Meads, J. (1996b) EMI profits up in 1st post-demerger figures, Billboard, Vol. 108 (48), pp. 8-10.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Demerger and hundreds of other essential business management techniques