The concept discusses the advantages and disadvantages of comparative advertising and reviews the implementation issues and steps that organisations should consider before embarking on this type of advertising.
Comparative Advertising Definition
Comparative advertising is defined as "a creative strategy where the advertised brand is explicitly compared with one or more competing brands and the comparison is obvious to the audience" (Barry and Tremblay, 1975:15). It can be further described as a marketing communication tactic (Bei et al., 2010) and "a message format in which a coppering brand attacks another brand(s) in the marketplace by making a direct or indirect comparison of one or more product attributes or benefits" (Choi and Miracle, 2004:75).
Comparative Advertising Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Comparative Advertising.
Comparative Advertising Strengths *
Comparative Advertising Weaknesses *
Examples of Comparative Advertising *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Comparative Advertising Implementation *
Success Factors of Comparative Advertising *
Measures of Comparative Advertising *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Comparative Advertising Videos *
Comparative Advertising Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Comparative Advertising Web Resources *
Comparative Advertising Print Resources *
Comparative Advertising References (4 of up to 20) *
- Barry, T. and Trembley, R. (1975) Comparative Advertising: Perspectives and Issues. Journal of Advertising, Vol. 4(4), pp. 15-20.
- Bei, L., Chu, C. and Shen, Y. (2010) Positioning Brand Extensions in Comparative Advertising. Journal of Marketing Communications, Vol. 17(4), pp. 229-244.
- Bennett, R. (1997) Communicator Credibility, Personality Factors and Customer Responses to Comparative Advertising Claims. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Vol. 15(2), pp. 85-96.
- Choi, Y. and Miracle, G. (2004) The Effectiveness of Comparative Advertising in Korea and the United States. Journal of Advertising, Vol. 33(4), pp. 75-87.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Comparative Advertising and hundreds of other essential business management techniques