The concept explains one of the most influential theories in economics. It describes the fundamental principles of the theory - as well as its strengths and weaknesses - and illustrates the theory in use through various case study examples.
Coase Theorem Definition
Coase theorem, named after Ronald Coase, is the proposition that if private parties can bargain without cost over the allocation of resources, they can solve the problem of externalities on their own. It states the primacy of private markets for sorting out the problems caused by the uncompensated impact of one person's actions on the well-being of a bystander (i.e. pollution from a factory) whenever there are no allocation costs (Mankiw, 2009).
Coase Theorem Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Coase Theorem.
Coase Theorem Strengths *
Coase Theorem Weaknesses *
Examples of Coase Theorem *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Coase Theorem Implementation *
Success Factors of Coase Theorem *
Measures of Coase Theorem *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Coase Theorem Videos *
Coase Theorem Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Coase Theorem Web Resources *
Coase Theorem Print Resources *
Coase Theorem References (4 of up to 20) *
- Coase, R.H. (1937), The Nature of the Firm, Economica, 4, pp.386–405.
- Coase, R.H. (1960), The Problem of Social Cost, Journal of Law and Economics, 3, pp.1-44.
- Coase, R.H. (1974), The Lighthouse in Economics, Journal of Law and Economics, 17(2), pp.357–376.
- Coase, R.H. (1991), Prize Lecture to the memory of Alfred Nobel. The Institutional Structure of Production, December 9, available at: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/1991/coase-lecture.html
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Coase Theorem and hundreds of other essential business management techniques