Backsourcing describes the process of when a firm recalls back in-house the services that it previously outsourced to another company. Clearly identifiable implementation stages are provided and potential risks and drawbacks are discussed.
Backsourcing describes the process of when a firm recalls back in-house the services that it previously outsourced to another company. The term is often used interchangeably with the term “insourcing”, although insourcing can refer to running a process “in-house” in general and not only to activities that had at some point been outsourced (Allen, 2006).
Backsourcing Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about Backsourcing.
Backsourcing Strengths *
Backsourcing Weaknesses *
Examples of Backsourcing *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
Backsourcing Implementation *
Success Factors of Backsourcing *
Measures of Backsourcing *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
Backsourcing Videos *
Backsourcing Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
Backsourcing Web Resources *
Backsourcing Print Resources *
Backsourcing References (4 of up to 20) *
- Allen, P. (2006) Service Orientation. Winning Strategies and Best Practices, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Bhagwatwar, A., Hackney, R., and Desouza, K.C. (2011) Considerations for Information Systems “Backsourcing”: A Framework for Knowledge Reintegration, Information Systems Management, Vol. 28 (2), pp. 165-173.
- Browning, L. (2008) Taxpayer Advocate Says Outsourcing at I.R.S. Is Inept, The New York Times, Published on 14 March 2008, Available online at: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/business/14tax.html
- Chadee, D. and Raman, R. (2009) International Outsourcing of Information Technology Services: Review and Future Directions, International Marketing Review, Vol. 26 (4/5), pp. 411-438.
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Backsourcing and hundreds of other essential business management techniques